My mom was here the first weekend the twins were born and she did the most genius thing while I learned breastfeeding.
I hate eating. It feels like a chore. I always ate bare minimum to get by, but when breastfeeding I couldn’t live this way. My milk supply would not allow it.
My mom knows this, so she went to Whole Foods and stocked a basket chock full of energy bars and snacks. This basket follows me around the house as I nurse. Over time the basket took form and I began to add to it, like vitamins, nipple cream, and more.
The Breastfeeding Basket complete list
- Cliff bars – These ended up being my favorite of what my mom bought especially the chocolate chip mint.
- Honey Stingers – I used these during labor to keep my energy up. They’re a great quick snack to keep you going.
- Nipple Cream – Lansinoh was bought for me by a friend who is a breastfeeding master.
- Prenatal vitamins – Our baby doctor recommended I keep taking these.
- Fenugreek supplement – This is great in boosting your milk supply.
- Hand sanitizer – Great to have on hand especially after changing a dirty diaper.
- Burp cloth – These seem to disappear regularly usually room to room, so I just keep one in my basket now.
- Pumping hands free bra – I can’t keep all my pumping gear in the basket as it needs to get sanitized often, but I do keep the bra in the basket just so I know where it is.
- EOS Lip Balm – Mostly because I have one of these in every pocket, purse, and drawer so why not my nursing basket too.
- Disposable bra pads – Milk everywhere, all over me, all the time. These help mop of the mess after nursing and keep my nipples dry as I let down when a baby isn’t attached.
What would you put in your basket? Did I miss anything to consider? Let me know in the comments below.
All my best,